WMI (Registration ) Understanding Of the World Manufacturer Identifier (WMI) Code
The World Manufacturer Identification (WMI) system was introduced in 1954 in the United States. From 1954 to 1981, there was no widely acknowledged VIN format for VINs; therefore, various manufacturers used different ones.
In 1954, US automakers and the Automobile Manufacturers Association worked together to develop the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), a new, standardized vehicle identification numbering system with a predetermined digit sequence and concealed chassis markings, at the request of the US government. Since 1954, American automakers have used a vehicle identification number to characterize and identify automobiles.
The format was standardized in 1981 by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration of the United States. It required a 17-character vehicle identification number (VIN) for all sold on-road automobiles, except the letters O, I, and Q (to prevent confusion with the numbers 0, 1, and 9).
The US Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) assigns WMIs to nations and manufacturers. Each ISO national member body names a body representing the global organization in charge of maintaining WMI codes when assigning codes.
The Society of Automotive Engineers Inc. in the United States, the international organization in charge of maintaining WMI codes, assigns WMI codes to vehicle manufacturers, and BIS, as India's National Standards Body and a member of the International Organisation for Standardisation, acts as the WMI coordinator in India.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR WMI CODE REGISTRATION
- Self-certified GST certificate photocopy
- Self-certified Photocopy of Certificate of Incorporation
- Memorandum of Association and Articles of Association/ Partnership deed
- Self-certified photocopy of the Udyam Registration/ certificate issued by MSME, Government of India.
- Self-certified copy of other relevant documents, if any
- Application fees remitted
- Address proof document
- Product category/code for which WMI code is desired
- Currently used coding system details
- Proposed production initiation date/month