WPC ETA CERTIFICATION FOR WIRELESS PRODUCTS
WPC, short for Wireless Planning and Coordination, is a vital authority in India that ensures the compliance of imported wireless and Bluetooth products with specific regulatory standards. It's the top authority in India for things related to broadcasting and communication. It's part of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.WPC started in 1952, and it has its main office in New Delhi. The WPC certificate serves as essential approval for using all wireless devices like Wi-Fi routers, smart speakers, and Bluetooth headphones in Delhi.
To sell products with wireless features in India, such as smart phones and smart watches, you must obtain permission from the government's WPC authority. They issue an ETA (Equipment Type Approval) certificate to demonstrate that your products are safe and won't disrupt other wireless devices. Operated under the Department of Telecommunications, WPC plays a crucial role in ensuring the smooth operation of wireless devices without causing any interference. They meticulously assess and approve wireless terminals and laptops.
If your wireless device operates on specific frequencies and meets safety regulations, it can be legally sold in India. However, obtaining the WPC ETA License is a prerequisite. To secure this license, you must provide a test report from a reputable laboratory that assesses the device's radio frequencies. This lab can be either overseas or in India, as long as it holds accreditation from ILAC or NABL.
WPC Approval in India, often known as WPC ETA Certification, encompasses various types of approval depending on the product's scope and use. The basic requirements for WPC ETA approval and import licenses necessitate a comprehensive understanding of the regulatory criteria and the gathering of essential documents. One vital requirement is the RF (radio frequency) test report, which necessitates understanding how to obtain it for a successful certification process. The process to obtain Equipment Type Approval (ETA) from WPC involves the submission of an application alongside the required documents. This certification is crucial for products falling under the wide scope of WPC regulations, which also includes consideration of de-licensed frequency bands. To learn how to obtain WPC ETA approval in India, businesses often reach out to experts for guidance in navigating the certification process effectively.
How To get a WPC Certificate in Delhi, you must fall into one of these two categories:
- If you make wireless products that operate within free-to-use frequency bands.
- If you import wireless products that operate within free-to-use frequency bands.
BENEFITS OF ETA CERTIFICATION
1. Ensuring Product Connectivity: This means making sure that all products can communicate effectively, especially wireless devices that rely on communication with other devices for proper functioning. Communication issues can be likened to a defect in the application process.
2. Enhancing National Security: The Wireless Planning and Coordination Certificate wing has implemented stringent regulations concerning the use of wireless products and devices due to potential national security risks.
3. Mitigating Frequency Interference: Some devices operate on unlicensed frequencies, but without caution, they can interfere with each other. That's why the ETA certificate is crucial it helps prevent frequency conflicts.
4. Accessing the Indian Market: With India's market expanding and people embracing modernization through wireless devices for their convenience, an ETA Certificate is essential for individuals involved in manufacturing, selling, or importing wireless devices. Without certification from the Wireless Planning and Coordination Wing, selling wireless devices in the Indian Market is not possible.
WPC Certificate is necessary for various wireless devices, including:
· Smart Speakers
· Walkie Talkies
· Wireless Cameras
· Smart Watches
· Hotspot Devices
· Wireless Transmitters
· Smart TVs
According to the rules from the WPC wing, wireless equipment needs to be made in a specific way. It must follow certain rules about how much radio signal it can emit and other technical details. Plus, it needs to be approved as the right type of equipment. If you want to get this approval, you have to apply to the central government in the right way, following their rules. This approval is needed for equipment that falls under specific limits set by the government.
WPC Frequency Chart.pdf
TYPES OF WPC APPROVAL/ WPC CERTIFICATION
Wireless Planning and Coordination certification (WPC certification) is of 3 types which are as follows:
1. Non - Network Licence
- Import Licence
- Dealer Possession Licence
- Non-dealer Possession Licence
2. Network Licence
- Internet Service Provider Licence (ISP)
- Experimental Licence
3. Equipment type Approval (ETA)
1. Non-Network License: This type of license is for businesses that aren't providing network services, like cable TV providers and sellers of wireless devices. It's needed to buy, sell, or import certain wireless equipment. If you're a registered business and have the right people to handle your equipment, you'll get a non-network license. It has three variations:
- Import License: Given to those who want to bring wireless products into India for sale.
- Dealer Possession License: Issued to individuals or organizations that are dealers and distributors of wireless products.
- Non-Dealer Possession License: Given to those who aren't involved in selling wireless devices and don't have a WPC license.
- Network License: This license is for companies that want to use radio frequencies in India to provide communication services, like mobile networks, cable services, and direct to home (DTH) broadcasting.
- Internet Service Provider License (ISP): If you want to offer internet services, you must get an ISP license from the Department of Telecommunications (DoT).
- Experimental License: This license is for individuals or organizations that want to conduct experiments or research with wireless gadgets.
4. Equipment Type Approval (ETA) & WPC ETA Certificate: When you're importing a product, especially if it's a Bluetooth or RFID device, you need to make sure it has a WPC ETA Certificate. ETA is a type of approval required from WPC before you can import any wireless device to India, particularly if it works in a frequency band where no specific license is needed. For devices like Bluetooth gadgets, Wi-Fi technology, mobile phones, or RFID equipment, an ETA certificate is essential.
For products manufactured in India with RF modules that have ETA and no changes or modifications, you don't need separate WPC ETA approval. However, if you're importing products from outside India and they have separate RF modules, each module needs ETA approval.
BASIC REQUIREMENT FOR WPC ETA APPROVAL AND IMPORT LICENCE
The fundamental prerequisites for WPC ETA approval are as delineated below:
1. For manufacturers based outside India: Foreign manufacturers without a liaison office or branch in India must designate an Authorized Indian Representative (AIR). In cases where the manufacturer does possess a liaison office or branch office in India, that entity automatically assumes the role of AIR.In the context of an import license, a foreign manufacturer should assign the same AIR as indicated in their WPC ETA application.
2. For domestic manufacturers: Domestic manufacturers can directly seek WPC ETA and WPC import licenses without the necessity of nominating an AIR.
PROCESS TO GET A WPC ETA CERTIFICATE
1. Conducting the Radio Frequency Test: To begin the WPC ETA Certificate process, a Radio Frequency Test is carried out in a certified Indian laboratory. This test examines the product's frequency level to confirm it falls within the allowed range for WPC ETA Certificates. India has specific frequency limits for devices eligible for this certification.
2. Document Preparation for Application: In the subsequent step, all the essential documents required for the WPC ETA Certificate application need to be collected. It is imperative that these documents are not only complete but also entirely truthful.
3. Applying via the Online Portal: The third step entails submitting an online application through the Saral Sanchar Portal. This portal is an integral component of the Department of Telecommunications' digital initiatives and is tailored for the issuance of various licenses and registration certificates.
4. Document Submission: Following the completion of the Radio Frequency Test, compilation of necessary documents, and the online application filing, the next requirement is to submit the essential documents to WPC for a meticulous verification process.
5. Receipt of the WPC ETA Certificate: A designated WPC officer will evaluate the submitted documents and meticulously review the Radio Frequency Test Report to ensure their accuracy and completeness. Only if the officer is content with both the documents and the process followed, will they grant approval for the ETA Certificate, which you will then receive.
This certification process is critical in verifying that the product's wireless capabilities comply with the established regulations, a prerequisite for its sale and usage within India.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED TO GET A WPC CERTIFICATE
1. Radio Frequency Test Report.
2. Product Catalog.
3. Business Ownership Proof.
4. Valid ID and Address Proof for the authorized person.
WHAT IS RF (RADIO FREQUENCY) TEST REPORT, AND HOW TO GET RF TEST REPORT FOR WPC (ETA) CERTIFICATE?
RF testing is like a way of checking if radio waves are behaving properly. Imagine these waves as traffic on the road, and you want to make sure there are no accidents or pile-ups. So, radiofrequency tests keep an eye on different types of broadcasts, like Wi-Fi, PMR radios, and cell phones, to make sure they're all playing nice and not causing trouble for each other.
In most places, there are rules that say these broadcasts must follow certain standards. It's not just a suggestion; it's the law.
Now, if you want to import or sell a product in India that uses certain radio frequencies, you need something called Equipment Type Approval (ETA) from the WPC. To get this ETA, you have to provide a report from a lab that's certified either by ILAC (a global accreditation body) if it's from another country, or by NABL (an Indian accreditation body) if it's a lab in India.
If your product has more than one radio module (like different parts that use radio waves), you need reports for each of them. And, all these reports need to show that the radio waves are in line with the rules. So, you take the reports from this trusted lab, send them to the WPC, and they'll give your product the green light to use certain radio frequencies in India. It's like getting a license for your product to talk nicely in the airwaves.
FEES FOR WPC CERTIFICATE
Government Fee(Stamp Duty)
The total fee can be different in various states, and it depends on the specific product you're dealing with. To get the precise fee and understand how to register, you can reach out to our team at Professional Utilities.
TIME REQUIRED IN THE WPC CERTIFICATION PROCESS
The process to obtain your WPC ETA certification in Delhi typically spans over a duration of approximately 30 to 35 working days.
This timeframe allows for the necessary steps and assessments involved in ensuring your compliance with wireless equipment standards and regulations.
Regarding the validity and renewal of the WPC ETA License, it's important to note that this certification is specifically associated with a particular product model. The certification remains in effect for as long as the manufacturer continues to produce that model without introducing any modifications or alterations. One notable advantage is that, given these conditions, there is no requirement for periodic renewals or reapplication for the WPC ETA License, offering a streamlined and convenient approach for manufacturers and distributors in the wireless equipment industry.
WPC Approval in India, often referred to as WPC ETA Certification, encompasses various types of approvals, each tailored to different product scopes and applications. To navigate the certification process successfully, it's essential to understand the basic requirements for WPC ETA approval and import licenses. A critical component is the RF (Radio Frequency) test report, which plays a vital role in ensuring compliance; understanding its importance and how to obtain it is key.
This step-by-step guide simplifies the process for securing Equipment Type Approval (ETA) from WPC, essential for various products falling under WPC regulations. The product scope for WPC approval is wide-ranging, covering a plethora of wireless devices. Additionally, delicensed frequency bands, a notable consideration, influence the certification process. If you're looking to secure WPC ETA approval in India, consulting with EVTLINDIA can be a valuable step in streamlining the certification journey. You can contact us and get in touch with our knowledgeable team via email at email@example.com or by giving us a call at 9560935898.
Located in Preet Vihar, EVTL India is a reliable certification agency with expertise in various certifications, including BIS, ISI, WPC, EPR, IMEI, BEE, and ISO. As a leading consultant in product testing, we assist customers in obtaining different types of compliance and approvals. Operating under the name Emphatic Vans and Testing Labs Pvt Ltd, our doors open promptly at 10:00 AM, poised to assist you with your certification requirements.
Important Information about WPC ETA License Registration
Mandatory Products List for WPC Approval
Sr. No. Products Name Indian Standard (IS) 1 WiFi Router EN 300 328 2 Wifi bulb / Smart Bulb EN 300 328 3 Wireless Mouse EN 300 328 4 Wireless Point of Sale Terminals EN 300 328 5 Wireless Speakers EN 300 328 6 Wireless receiver EN 300 328 7 Bluetooth Headphones EN 300 328 8 Wireless Camera EN 300 328 9 WiFi Smart Watch EN 300 328 10 Wireless Drones EN 300 328 11 Wireless Pendrive EN 300 328 12 Wireless Plug EN 300 328 13 Wireless Nano USB EN 300 328 14 Wireless Repeater EN 300 328 15 Wireless Keyboard EN 300 328 16 Wireless Home Automation Devices EN 300 328 17 Hotspot Devices EN 300 328 18 Wireless Pendrive EN 300 328 19 Smart Home Gateway EN 300 328 20 Walkie Talkie EN 300 328 21 Wireless Terminal EN 300 328 22 Bluetooth Devices EN 300 328 23 Wireless POS Terminal EN 300 328 24 Transmitter EN 300 328