IMEI Number Registration
How to Get IMEI Number Registration for Business
What is an IMEI Number?
IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity. It's a unique 15-digit number given to every mobile phone. This number helps identify and track the phone's location.
IMEI stands for "International Mobile Equipment Identity. Every mobile phone comes with a unique 15-digit IMEI number Registration, like a special ID card for the phone. This IMEI number helps track the phone's location worldwide and can stop lost phones from connecting to networks. Usually, you'll find this number inside the battery compartment of your phone. Some phones also show it on the screen when you type *#06# on the dial pad or in the settings menu. Phone makers assign this number when they build the phone, and it can't be changed or deleted by anyone. Each IMEI number Registration follows global mobile standards, like 3GPP TS 22.016. Different phone brands have different IMEI numbers, like Samsung and Nokia.
Compulsory Registration of International Mobile Equipment Identity number (IMEI)
Starting from January 1, 2023, a new rule has been introduced by the government for smart phone manufacturers in India. This rule requires all mobile phones and smart phones produced by these manufacturers to have their IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) numbers registered with the Indian Counterfeit Device Restriction (ICDR) portal.
The purpose behind this law is to tackle the problem of counterfeit products that use unregistered IMEI numbers to avoid scrutiny. Unregistered IMEI numbers pose several risks, including contributing to black market activities, increasing the likelihood of phone theft, and enabling phone tampering. Registering IMEI numbers is seen as a crucial step in reducing the circulation of counterfeit products in India.
Under this mandate, all phone manufacturers, whether producing devices locally or importing them, must register the IMEI numbers and obtain IMEI Registration certificates through the Department of Telecommunications' Indian Counterfeit Device Restriction portal.
Every mobile equipment manufacturer or brand owner needs to sign up on https://imeidb.gsma.com/ to receive their own IMEI registration certificate.
For importers of mobile equipment, follow these steps:
- Log in to the online portal using your user ID and password.
- Submit the application form before the specified date for IMEI Registration of the mobile handset IMEI Number lot intended for the Indian market. The GSMA automated system, ICDR (IMEI Cloning and Duplication Restriction), comes into play.
- The ICDR checks and validates the information against the worldwide GSMA reporting body, which generates TACs (Type Allocation Codes).
- If the validated information is correct, then the registration certificate will be issued for importing the mobile equipment.
Documents Required for IMEI Registration
1. Technical Specification Sheet: You'll need to fill in the technical specification sheet with all the necessary details on the registration form.
2. Specific Model Information: Specify the exact mobile device model for which your organization seeks IMEI certification.
3. NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement): Importers planning to bring mobile equipment devices into the country must have a signed non-disclosure agreement.
This agreement should come from the director or owner of the organization from which the import will happen. Make sure to send both hard and soft copies of the signed agreement.
4. Manufacturer Agreement: Prepare a manufacturer agreement on a Rs. 100/- stamp paper, duly notarized. Fill in all the required information and content, and then obtain the signature of the organization's director or owner. Send this document, the manufacturer agreement, to the MSAI (Mobile Standard Alliance India) office located in India.
Process of IMEI Registration
1. Company Details and Documentation: Importer and exporter complete a form, providing company information and necessary documents IMEI Registration.
2. Document Validation: Authorities review and validate the company's submitted documents.
3. Model Registration: Once documents are validated, the company can register the models of mobile devices they intend to import into India.
4. Additional Device Details: Registered mobile device models can include more details like frequency, form, SIM card type, and connectivity options.
5. IMEI Registration: The IMEI number Registration and the quantity of mobile devices to be imported must be registered.
6. IMEI Certificate: An IMEI certificate is issued for each shipment, which is required for customs clearance at Indian Ports.
Benefits of IMEI Registration
1. Easy Import Authorization: IMEI registration allows mobile companies or entities to easily get permission to import their products into the country.
2. Simplified Customs Clearance: IMEI registration also makes customs clearance smoother when importing mobile devices.
3. User Friendly Registration: Any person in the country can easily register their phone themselves.
4. Lost Device Tracking: If someone loses their phone or a mobile device, the IMEI number Registration can help track it and find its exact location using IMEI Registration, ESN, or MEID.
5. Enhanced Safety: IMEI numbers Registration can aid investigative agencies in catching criminals, contributing to a safer environment for everyone.
IMEI registration, or International Mobile Equipment Identity registration, plays a vital role in ensuring the authenticity and safety of mobile devices in India.
To comply with this rule, manufacturers and importers need to follow specific steps and provide necessary documentation. This process simplifies customs clearance, enhances device security, and aids in tracking lost devices. If you need any assistance with IMEI registration you can reach out to Evtlindia. We provide assistance with all documentation formalities ensuring a smooth and hassle-free registration experience, guiding you through the entire process from start to finish.